« Home | Too Long For A Comment » | How To Win Friends And Influence People » | And Now For Something Completely Different » | That's The Effeciency Of Government For You » | Umm, Wow » | It's Good To Be Back » | Friday Flashback » | The Thought Police Strike Again » | They're Coming Home » | Some Frank Comments From Boehner » 

Friday, June 1 

Friday Flashback

I originally titled this one "Por La Sierra, Yo Me Voy", but I decided to stick with "Friday Flashback" so as not to confuse anyone. Especially me.

It's Friday again, which means it's time for Friday Flashback. Today's picks are more recent, but songs I really enjoy. The first one is from the opening credits of Desperado. it was written by Los Lobos (who's music I absolutely love) and performed by Antonio Banderas. [Disclaimer]BTW, I had already planned on posting these before I wrote the immigration piece below. I don't want this looking like some kind of attempt to make nice because I enjoy Latin music.[/disclaimer]

I don't know exactly what it is about this song that I like so much. The playing is mediocre, and Antonio should stick to acting, but I still really like this song. It comes up in rotation at my local Mexican restaurant fairly often, and the workers all enjoy laughing at the gringo who sits by himself and sings along. I don't know if they find it funnier that I eat there alone every time, or that I know the lyrics in Spanish, because I don't look like someone who should speak any Spanish. I couldn't look any whiter. Especially when I stop after work and I'm wearing my white man uniform of khakis and a polo shirt. At least I don't have a mini van any more.



This is from one of my favorite albums of all time, Flood by They Might Be Giants. I bought this cassette when it came out in 1990, and I absolutely wore. it. out. I used to listen to it every time I was on the lawn mower, on every road trip, and basically whenever I wanted to feel happy. Istanbul (Not Constantinople), Particle Man, We Want A Rock, and of course the song featured above are some of my favorites. I really need to get this CD, or download the mp3s. It's been too long since I had my fix of TMBG.

And finally, we have Rammstein.

Rammstein is one of my guilty pleasures. Their music is really very simplistic, but the driving guitars and constant drums teamed with the German lyrics totally do it for me. Most of my designated driving cd mixes have Rammstein on there somewhere. Du Hast is one of my favorites, along with Feuer Frei from the XXX soundtrack. Coincidentally, Feuer Frei is one of the redeeming qualities of that movie, the other two are Samuel L. Jackson and the stripper in the castle, because that scene is just hawt.

I can sing along with the lyrics to most of their songs almost as well as I know the Cancion del Mariacha lyrics, I just don't know what most of them mean. That's the curse of High School language classes. I can conjugate the hell out of some verbs, just don't ask me what they mean.

Labels:

I'm really hungry right now, so the main thing I got out of this post is that I really ought to go to Don Pablo's for dinner.

Are you fluent in Spanish or do you just know the one song?

mmm, Don Pablo's. I haven't been there in a while.

I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I speak it well enough to get by. I can read it much better than speak it, thanks to 5 years of Spanish class. Lately I have been working on building my vocabulary. I have a neighbor who is from Juarez, and we've discussed practicing my Spanish. He likes the idea because the only time he gets to speak Spanish is when he calls his mother, and I get free tutoring from a native speaker. Works out for both of us.

I love Flashback Friday!

Post a Comment
Copyright (c) 2007, Frankly Speaking.