« Home | Friday Flashback » | Republican Debate » | Not Having A Good Day » | Happy May Day » | Best Snarky Nerd Comment Of The Day » | Poor Education » | Molon Labe » | And Now For Something Completely Different » | Church Jokes » | Monday Morning Gun Talk » 

Wednesday, May 9 

So Much For Celebrity Status

A restaurant owner in Louisville refused to serve O.J. Simpson the night before the derby.
Ruby — who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. — said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.
I have a couple of thoughts on this.

#1. Ruby has balls. Big, brass balls. I'm sure that he knew that he would end up with some kind of lawsuit on his hands as a result of this, but he did it anyway. That takes some brass ones. But he has convictions and stood up for them.

#2. I wonder who the people were who were traveling with O.J.? Family? Friends?

#3. O.J. at least showed enough class to not cause a scene by taking his entourage and leaving. That was a classy move on his part.

#4. O.J.'s attorney, being an attorney, is going to turn this into a circus. He's already claiming that his client was refused service because of his race. Is this guy a complete moron? I mean, there's not a business in this country that would deny O.J. anything because of his race. Maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there, just maybe it has to do with the fact that he allegedly murdered a couple of people. Or that he tried to profit from those murders with his "If I Did It" book a few months ago.

Look, O.J. was acquitted, so he has the right to be out doing whatever it is he wants to do. The restaurant owner also has the right to refuse service to pretty much anyone he wants.

Personally, I used to really like O.J. After the whole murder thing, I doubt I would hang out with him. I feel the same way about Michael Jackson. He's not been convicted of anything, but that doesn't mean I would allow my kids to spend the night with him, either.

Labels: ,

Copyright (c) 2007, Frankly Speaking.