« Home | Faith And Politics » | Happy Friday » | Too Much For The Comments » | The Thick Plottens » | Idiots, Every Last One Of Them » | Well Wasn't That Big Of Them » | Because This Is Definitely The Most Likely Scenario » | When You Move Up This Mother F***er,You Do It Expe... » | This Is Why America Is Great » | They Will Be By Later To Install The CO2 Meter On ... » 

Monday, April 9 

Overreact Much?

Don Imus is an idiot. Okay, that's not entirely fair, but it got your attention, didn't it?

I've never been a big fan of Don Imus. I think he jumped the shark a few years ago, and the only reason he's still on the air is because, well, he's Don Imus. Once you've been famous long enough, you are allowed to hang around a while past your expiration date.

Last week, in an on air discussion with his producer, Imus made reference to the Rutger's female basketball team as "...nappy headed hos."

Guess who is throwing a fit about that one? The Reverends Sharpton and Jackson are in full force, calling for boycotts, apologies, and Imus' head on a plate.

Allow me to point out here that I am in no way playing apologist for Imus on this one. After you've been on the radio for 30+ years, you should know enough to not throw up a slow one for race baiters like Sharpton and Je$$e. They make a living off of racial outrage, and this will provide them with enough steam to last until their next outrage.

Imus, therefore, was right to offer his mea culpas, and do the appropriate amount of groveling on Sharpton's radio show today.

However, calling for his head because of one comment? I think that's a little extreme. Anyone with half a brain knows that Imus isn't a racist, and one poor choice in words shouldn't end his career. According to Sharpton it should, though.
"'I don’t know what’s in your heart and I’m not going to call you a name, I’m not going to call you a bigot. I’m going to say what you said was racist, I’m going to say what you said was abominable, I’m going to say you should be fired for saying it,' Sharpton told Imus."
That, by the way, is an off-hand way of saying, "You're a bigot, and you have an evil heart." I just thought I would clarify that for you.

If Sharpton really wanted to hurt Imus, he should have ignored him. All he is proving now is that Imus is relevant. That and the fact that the media will put his (Sharpton's) ugly mug on the teevee anytime he wants to act outraged.

Maybe we should remind ol' Al of that first word in his name, Reverend.
Then Peter approaching asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?"

Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times."
Matthew 18:21-22
Imus did something stupid. But after 30+ years on the radio, we all know he's not a racist. Sharpton, on the other hand, is willing to crucify someone at the end of his career for the short term goal of trying to still appear relevant. If Sharpton really wanted to impress me, he would have had Imus on his show, and after Imus made his explanations and apologies, he would have embraced him and forgiven him.

Then you could have sent flowers, because I would have dropped dead from the shock.

Labels:

Copyright (c) 2007, Frankly Speaking.