« Home | Brace Yourselves » | Required Viewing » | Whiskey Tango Foxtrot » | Wow. » | Sgt. Swiger » | My New Desktop Background » | Iran » | I'm Shocked. Shocked I Tell You » | Hypocrisy Watch » | To Soar With Eagles » 

Monday, April 2 

Selective History

In the U.K., schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Government backed study has revealed.
It found some teachers are dropping courses covering the Holocaust at the earliest opportunity over fears Muslim pupils might express anti-Semitic and anti-Israel reactions in class.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.
The real point of the story is buried at the end, and matches my own feelings about the teaching of history in this country.
The researchers also warned that a lack of subject knowledge among teachers - particularly at primary level - was leading to history being taught in a 'shallow way leading to routine and superficial learning'.

Lessons in difficult topics were too often 'bland, simplistic and unproblematic' and bored pupils.
Several years ago I gave serious thought to seeking a teaching degree for this very reason. I wanted to teach civics to high school students who are woefully uneducated when it comes to history and the workings of our government.

Some days I regret not pursuing that dream. But most any time I have more than a five minute conversation with a school administrator I realize why I gave up on it. Our schools (at least in this area) are, for the most part, populated by idiots. I wouldn't have lasted very long before I would have been forced to throttle a fellow teacher, which doesn't make for a long career.

Labels: ,

Copyright (c) 2007, Frankly Speaking.